My readers, co-travellers & Readers, We continue with our thought process about the short comings of our education system and suggest our own solutions as have suggested mine. We have already discussed about Rotte culture and the poor quality of education. We move on to the next.
3/4. Lack of creativity on part of teachers AND Lethargic teachers with no inclination towards teaching
1. Some teachers have taken up this career out of compulsion as they have no option left. Just for the sake for filling their stomachs. So their attitude towards education is completing the portion and help students fetch marks. So there is no scope of coming up with creative ideas.
2. Teachers have become predictable and slowly with experience they are turning lethargic. Have had students coming upto me and sharing that our teacher just reads the chapter and does not take pains of explaining. They finish a chapter in a day. Mathematics teachers do a sum or two, some only from solved examples and leave it to the students to solve the others by themselves.
1. Let people coming into this field of teaching be the ones who love to teach. Teaching is an art – as my school Vice Principle Mr.Stanley used to say.
2. Also a teacher is someone who is always ready to learn and listen. The most important aspect of teaching is an alert mind and ever listening ear.
3. Let teachers interact with students as guides and mentors. Teach them, show them the path, hold their fingers and walk with them. DONT DRAG them.
4. Teachers need to be open-minded. Take the questions asked seriously and respond to them. Respond to the same question a thousand times.
5. Always keep smiling. Be well prepared. Be humble.
6. Enjoy the whole process as they are guiding the future generation a country and preparing them to be the future leaders
1. The biggest argument against today’s schooling methods. They do not train the kid for his future career. Nor is it oriented towards practicality.
2. Students get projects at such a time when they are busy studying for their exams and parents have to complete the projects.
3. So many subjects to study. A joke doing rounds is “That if there are 10 teachers for 10 subjects, then how am I expected to study all 10 subjects.”
1. Let us first understand that school is the foundation towards education. It helps build a base and exposes a student to a variety of subjects. And then leaves it upto the student to decide his/her career and life.
2. After the advent of World Wide Web, let the kids do their projects. Even if it stretches them a bit. A beautiful saying goes thus :
सुखार्थिनः कुतोविद्या नास्ति विद्यार्थिनः सुखम् ।
सुखार्थी वा त्यजेद् विद्यां विद्यार्थी वा त्यजेत् सुखम् ॥
(A student in search of happiness can never learn, and a student who learns cannot yearn for happiness, meaning to educate oneself is a difficult process)
At the end, I just want say that I am no thinker of sorts, but a humble teacher who is learning through this whole process. I have been into this profession for the last 18 years and after observing, studying and researching have come up with my solutions. Again they may vary from individual to individual. And I respect them. But One thing is for sure, that we all are the products of this system, which we often tend to criticise and analyse. And let’s not forget that it has tought us to think the way we think today.
So Let’s end this blog with an amazing quote by Micheal Jackson:
Let’s together tread on this path and make the surroundings around us a better place.
Let’s together experiment. At the same time be open to other’s experimentation too.
Let’s give our kids both, the things they like and they need to be given.Let’s be humble and respectful of every thought that works towards betterment of the world.Let us make our world a happy place to live in.Heal the world.Make it a better place for you and for me and the entire human race.
Get in touch for such beautiful blogs and content.